Grievance Officer Workshops
This 2 day Grievance Officer Workshops provides participants with the legal framework and practical skills to recognise, manage and resolve informal and formal grievances effectively, from the initial complaint stage through to interviewing witnesses and collating the evidence.
Why Have Grievance Officers? If you are part of a large organisation or one that has multiple work sites then it can be helpful to have multiple touch points for your staff to be able to go to when they have a workplace problem. Lots of people tell me they don’t feel comfortable going to HR or their manager but if they knew there was another option they would take it. Grievance Officers can be that other option.
Who is this course for?
The course is for anyone in an organisation who either has to (usually in Human Resources) or wants to take on the role and responsibility of conducting formal investigations within their workplace.
This is a 2 day workshop with the added option of a further half day on report writing. It is highly interactive and provides practical skills that can be used in everyday interactions, as well as grievances.
What you will learn
- What is harassment (sexual), discrimination and bullying- the legal definition and case examples
- The structure of an effective complaint management process
- The assessment of complaints as informal or formal
- Effective questioning techniques
- How to manage an informal complaint
- How to manage a formal complaint
- The principles of natural justice and how to apply them in an investigation
- How to structure notes and how to write a witness statement
- What confidentiality looks like in the context of an investigation
- How to remain impartial and unbiased in your role as a grievance officer
- When to outsource the investigation
You will also get
- Useful checklists for having an informal and formal conversation
- A resource book
- The experience of doing a complete investigation, interviewing the complainant and the respondent and drafting statements
- The ability to assess when a workplace issue requires acting on and what is the most appropriate action/s to take
We conduct public workshops for Contact Officers and Grievance Officers. Before you train your Grievance Officers, download our eBook about the 5 Essential “To Do’s”.
To receive our regular updates, join our mailing list: