Why Have Grievance Officers? If you are part of a large organisation or one that has multiple work sites then it can be helpful to have multiple touch points for your staff to be able to go to when they have a workplace problem. Lots of people tell me they don’t feel comfortable going to HR or their manager but if they knew there was another option they would take it. Grievance Officers can be that other option.
Who is this course for?
The course is for anyone in an organisation who either has to (usually in Human Resources) or wants to take on the role and responsibility of conducting formal investigations within their workplace.
This is a 2 day workshop with the added option of a further half day on report writing. It is highly interactive and provides practical skills that can be used in everyday interactions, as well as grievances.
What you will learn
- What is harassment (sexual), discrimination and bullying- the legal definition and case examples
- The structure of an effective complaint management process
- The assessment of complaints as informal or formal
- Effective questioning techniques
- How to manage an informal complaint
- How to manage a formal complaint
- The principles of natural justice and how to apply them in an investigation
- How to structure notes and how to write a witness statement
- What confidentiality looks like in the context of an investigation
- How to remain impartial and unbiased in your role as a grievance officer
- When to outsource the investigation
You will also get
- Useful checklists for having an informal and formal conversation
- A resource book
- The experience of doing a complete investigation, interviewing the complainant and the respondent and drafting statements
- The ability to assess when a workplace issue requires acting on and what is the most appropriate action/s to take
What people say about this course
I have really enjoyed today. I have gained a huge amount of knowledge and would love to learn more.
Thorough, clear examples given, made learning easy.
The program is informative and comprehensive.
Excellent program to learn and practice grievance management. Role-play on both investigator/complaint is very useful.
Very useful and insightful, however, a lot to take in. It would be good to check in again in 6 months to refresh.
Excellent practice. Enjoyed the hands-on. Great info.